The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that there were over 15,000 holiday decorating injuries in November and December 2012. This was the fourth consecutive year where these numbers have increased. These injuries range from falls off ladders to stepping on broken ornaments.
Here are some safety tips from the USCPSC to keep you and your family safe this year:
- (1) Keep your tree well-watered and keep it away from heat sources.
- (2) Don’t leave burning candles unattended.
- (3) Use caution when on a ladder.
- (4) Discard strings of lights that have any appearance of damage.
- (5) If you are purchasing an artificial tree, check to make sure it is “fire resistant.”
- (6) If you are purchasing a live tree, check it for freshness. You can do this by making sure that the needles are difficult to pull from the branches and the needles do not break when bent between your fingers.
For more tips, visit the USCPSC’s website:
-The Law Offices of Lance D. Youd, experienced personal injury attorneys