Detergent pods are popular due to their ease of use and convenience. However, these pods are often brightly colored and look like candy, making them attractive to young children. It has been reported that within the last year, there were over 17,000 calls to poison control about children ingesting or coming into contact with detergent, which averages to about one child per hour.
Children will often pierce or bite the pod, causing the liquid to go into their eyes or throats. Contact with the eyes can cause severe irritation, while ingestion of the liquid can cause vomiting and respiratory issues, even death. These detergents seem to be more harmful to children than plain detergent.
Parents are urged to keep these products away from children. Companies are also taking action to decrease the appeal of these pods. One company has begun selling them in opaque containers, to decrease their appeal to children. Parents with children under four are urged to use traditional detergent, to further decrease the risk.
Contact Salem attorney Lance D. Youd today.